Could Cannabinoids from Hemp help me sleep? Insominia, The Real American Pandemic
In wake of all the (Covid-19) craziness and fear, i'd like to tackle a real problem that is an actual current statistical pandemic in our country. Let's talk shocking statistics, then we will get into how cannabis derived products may help you!
- Unlike your 1 in about 11.3 million chance of contracting a terminal case of Coronavirus (as of 3/11/20), if you live in the United States, theres a more than 1 in 3 (about 35% of the population) chance that you are currently suffering from some form of insomnia or sleep disorder (WOW!).
- According to the CDC, 25 million (about 1 in 10) Americans reported that lack of sleep consistently affected their driving, and 18 million reported that sleep frequently interfered with job performance.
-According to www.thegoodbody.com, Americans 100 years ago averaged a little over 9 hours of sleep per night (imagine that!).
In 2019, the average American gets only about 6.8 hours per night, about 20% less than we did 100 years ago; This is clearly a serious problem that is only worsening.
Cannabis and Sleep
While there are a million reasons as to why you might personally be struggling with sleep, and we will go over some of those in a bit; The real purpose of this entry is to discuss how hemp derived cannabinoids, specifically the more rare compounds (CBG,CBN,CBC etc.) could help you put down the pharmaceuticals or sleep aids, and get back to sleep regulation as it is intended. Ever have those mornings where you woke up and thought to yourself "I don't think I even moved all night, I sure wish every night felt like that?" Clearly the research shows that you're not alone, and Americans are desperate in 2020 for that "wake up refreshed feeling". Thanks to the recent farm bill, and allowable cannabis research in the U.S, the cat is now out of the bag on Hemp Derived oils, edibles, and smokables and their amazing sleep inducing properties.
Cannabinoids and Homeostasis
Homeostasis refers to the ability of an organism or environment to maintain a state of internal balance and physical wellbeing in spite of changes or outside factors. Your body's most noticeable form of homeostasis is sleep regulation.
CBG (Cannabigerol) , also known as the mother cannabinoid, and the precursor to CBD, CBC, and THC is an extremely potent cannabinoid that like CBN, binds to CB1 & CB2 receptors in the body. Whether you know it or not, your body is literally built to receive cannabinoids through our ECS (endocannabinoid system). Cannabinoid receptors are members of the G protein-coupled receptor (GPCR) superfamily of cell surface receptors. CB1 receptors are primarily located on nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord, thus playing a major role in mood regulation thanks to its incredible ability to boost Anandamide, your body's own natural cannabinoid or "bliss molecule". It also regulates dopamine levels. When paired with other Cannabinoids in regards to sleep, CBG can reduce anxiety, enhance mood and relaxation, and play a major roll in your bodies ability to prepare itself for rest and to stay asleep.
CBN, whether you have heard of it or not, is all the craze in the non-psycoactive cannabis world right now. This is because like the "mother cannabinoid" CBG, CBN binds to both CB1 and CB2 receptors producing a variety of homeostatic properties in body. In regards to sleep regulation, CBN is the safe, natural future alternative for insomnia. According to preliminary research, CBN can be used effectively as a sleep aid or sedative. This cannabinoid has also been shown to help regulate the immune system and works to relieve the pain and inflammation caused by several conditions, including arthritis and Crohn's disease. In fact, preliminary studies suggest 5 mg of CBN to be a more effective sleep aid than 10 mg of the pharmaceutical diazepam (Valium) with no side effects or drowsiness. You've got to love this PLANT!! Active7 Organics is currently working on a truly one of a kind CBN oil that will combine CBD,CBG, AND CBC with sleep inducing terpenes. We hope to bring the product to market within the month
With all this talk of cannabinoids, it would be a travesty to the plant that we love to not at least briefly dicuss terpenes and their role in the efficacy of your cannabis products.
To quickly summarize, terpenes are organic compounds that are excreted by plants to protect themselves from predators. They are what makes pine trees smell like pine (pinene), lemons smell and taste like lemons (limonene) etc. They also play a vital role in how effective your products are via the "entourage effect" which states that cannabinoids are much more effective when combined with whole plant parts. Specifically sesquiterpenes like linalool increase sedative effects and are known to induce sleep.
What are some things I can do in my everyday routine that will help prepare my body for sleep and maximize my hemp products?
- Your body starts to naturally produce melatonin once the sun goes down, at night or when confronted with extended darkness. Spend your last waking hours in an area thats not overrun by bright lights. If you must be on your cell phone, turn on your blue light filter or turn down your phone light.
- Don't eat foods that are high in sugar late in the evenings. You would be mortified at what just 15 grams of sugar looks like on a scale. (There's about 32 grams in a small bag of M&M's)
- limit caffeine intake after sundown
- In regards to oils, hold them under your tongue as long as possible to maximize absorption.
Products in the Active7 line that our customers LOVE for sleep:
- Max Relief 750mg and 1500mg (CBD,CBC,CBG)
- Max Plus 3000mg (CBD,CBG,CBC)
- CBG OIL 3:2 CBG to CBD